Friday, April 21, 2017

Starting with DFW ending with Gratitude

Exciting discovery Announcement!!! 
An author who puts into words I can understand my thoughts that I cannot put into words:   David Foster Wallace

This week's quotes were DFW as well
“The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
That is real freedom. 
That is being taught how to think.
The alternative is unconsciousness, the default setting, the "rat race" — the constant, gnawing sense of having had and lost some infinite thing.”
David Foster Wallace

“Mediocrity is contextual.” 

David Foster Wallace
Infinite Jest

I am trying to avoid reading all of the unfettered political ranting and never ending torrents of advertising drivel that clog my electronic devices every time I wake them up. Fortunately, every now and then I see something that is worth a look and occasionally a read. These random reminders that there are a few voices speaking out that make sense on a reasonable common sense level reassure me that there are people in the world who are more than shells for squirming pain bodies that are spewing toxic infectious splatter and creating an epidemic of fear. (Collective and individual "pain bodies" from Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth)

Elizabeth Warren, Democratic Senator for Massachusetts from an election speech in replying to the charge that asking the rich to pay more taxes is "class warfare", by pointing out that no one grew rich in the U.S. without depending on infrastructure paid for by the rest of society, stating:[59][60]
"There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody. ... You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for; you hired workers the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory, and hire someone to protect against this, because of the work the rest of us did. Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea. God bless. Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is, you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along." 
(I followed a random trail to find the above on Wikipedia)


I live in a park!





One of my amazing workspaces.
It is very hard to believe the insanity in the rest of the world when I am blessed to be surrounded with beauty and peace. My dream kitchen... where I sit to read, write, dream, talk to Alex and Morgan, cook for anybody and everybody and mostly for joy, dance and sing, get over my petty ego issues, cry and shout when I'm pissed off, drink wine, have a couple puffs, be stupid and go very deeply philosophical on the meaning of ...

Daffodils in Aunt Edith's green reed jug Edith is the "e" in alejamo
She lived in this house for 23 years. 
I have now lived here for 26 years.
Ain't life funny!! That is 49 years of daffodils and I'd guess a minimum of 100 books read a year so 4900 books read looking out over Lake Ontario and the lights of Burlington. 
I am living a dream and I have no idea how or why I have been so lucky but I am overflowing with 

GRATITUDE







No comments: