Thursday, June 14, 2018

For Pete

“Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it’s business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don’t love what you’re doing and you can’t give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short."
Al Lopez

Al Lopez, (Alfonso Ramon Lopez; “El Señor”), American baseball player and manager. The child of Spanish immigrants, he was called “El Señor” for his gentlemanliness. Lopez entered the Hall of Fame in 1977. 

This week's quote is in honour of my brother in law, Pete Heeney, who died suddenly last Wednesday. Pete loved baseball and was a gentleman. He touched many lives as a teacher, baseball and hockey player and coach, friend, and family guy. Pete was 59 and had only another year or so to go until he could retire. I was in the bottom of the Grand Canyon when it happened, expecting everything to be the same when I returned and it wasn't. No time to say goodbye, no time to say the words "we love you Pete and are happy you have been in our family for the past 23 years". I am comforted that I'm sure he knew we felt that, but man what I wouldn't give for a chance to actually tell him! It was funny to me (in a comical funny way) that Pete was one of the few people who said he didn't want to be on my "Quote list". I think he thought I send out "spiritual mush" each week lol. Ironic that this is the mushiest I've gotten (I think...)

For any of my close friends and relatives reading this if you are interested there is a scholarship in Pete's name started at the school in Burlington where he taught. Here is the link:


Live what you Love!!
Jeanne

No comments: