Thursday, June 11, 2020

Sharper Wits = Magic

“The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.”
Eden Phillpotts  

So if the magical things are there waiting for us to discover them and all we have to do is sharpen our wits to make these discoveries why do we live each day stuck in the sloggy, mucky, murky puddle of what we believed was possible yesterday? Our wits are weighed down like boots clomping in clay getting heavier each step, as our familiar convictions get stronger and crush any budding idea that may challenge what we think we know until we are so deeply entrenched we can't even imagine a way out of our hole let alone see the magic.

Check out this awesome 'Book+of+Wonderland+V.2' design on ...


Here's a quote I've shared before from Lewis Carrol's book about Alice in Wonderland. I think the world would be a very different place with a lot more magic if we all did this exercise every day. 
"There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."  


There is controversy over the Author: Eden Philpotts relationship with his daughter. Here I have to check in on myself because I usually choose not to use a quote from a source if I read there is public information about abuse they may have committed. I will never condone it, but there is nothing black and white about anything and relationships especially. I don't know if any of us is absolved from abuse and responsibility lies with a society that barely cloaks its own abuse and covers it up or justifies it with religion or colonization or politics or economics. Bullying breeds bullying. 

No comments: