Thursday, January 07, 2021

Muffins vs Icebergs

 “How you can sit there, calmly eating muffins when we are in this horrible trouble, I can’t make out. You seem to me to be perfectly heartless."


"Well, I can’t eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

"I say it’s perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances.”
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

What to do, what to do when the beast is rattling at the door? 
What to do, what to do when the iceberg looms and our collective learned helplessness blinds us to anything but oncoming disaster
What to do, what to do when we are victims of "freedom", when ranting and raving and waving flags and blaming don't change the ships course
What to do, what to do??
What purpose is there in joining the ranting crowd? In watching the iceberg get bigger and closer and letting its sensationalness consume us
What purpose is there in letting our focus and emotions succumb to the mob growing more strident and violent as it clamours for attention
What to do, what to do???
What choice do we have?? Stay home and eat muffins, taking great care to butter them carefully maybe?
What choice do we have?? Stop and think how do we want to live and die this one life we have...maybe?
What to do? What to do?
What gives our life meaning? We can choose who we are in this chaos
What gives our life meaning? We can choose what we love in spite of disaster; like the musicians on the Titanic who played as the ship sank, or the mothers who read to their children overcoming their fear of the dangers approaching...
What to do? What to do??
What to do? Eat muffins, butter them enjoy them slowly and savour them
What to do? Think around the iceberg
What to do? Be our own hero first ... if we can't change the world we can change where we focus our thoughts

My heroes from yesterday:
The bookclub friend who delivered cookies to each of our bookclub members; this made me feel part of community of caring people
The friend who came for a walk and inspired me when she told me about virtually travelling the Camino trail, Dancing!! Wow, do what you love!
The people I saw at the church when I picked up ingredients to cook meals for their community food program, buttering the muffins for many
The buddies who's ongoing text chatter about the happenings at the US capitol that gave me a lens to see beyond that iceberg
The friend who shared a question from a course she is taking: What colour is your fear? which is giving me much food for thought
And there are many, the list goes well beyond personal interactions, I have only to look and I see heroes everywhere, and they are not just people (and muffins)...
The Oak Trees I look at day in day, majestic in their beauty and alive in all stages. Standing tall, fallen and transitioning and the baby planted in memory of my father who is always my hero and epitomized the following quote:

“People who maintain their calm in times of global or local chaos are the most effective antidote against the poison of the chaos!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan

No comments: